Laboratory Specialist, Automotive
Job Type: Staff
Department: Automotive Technology
College of the Desert (COD ) is located in Palm Desert, California, the geographic center of the beautiful Coachella Valley. Nestled among the backdrop of the Santa Rosa and San Jacinto mountains in eastern Riverside County, the Coachella Valley is a resort community that offers over 100 golf courses and a wide array of outdoor activities such as tennis, hiking, horseback riding, hot air ballooning, polo, bicycling, rock climbing and swimming.
Founded in 1958, this two-year public college serves over 400,000 residents of eight local cities and the students of the Palm Springs, Desert Sands and Coachella Valley school districts. College of the Desert offers certificates and two-year Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degrees.
The College served over 15,000 students. COD is a federally recognized Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI ), with almost 70% of the student body identifying as Hispanic. The Coachella Valley community recently passed a $577 million bond measure, allowing for College of the Desert to improve its current facilities and expand its campus locations. These improvements and expansion will assist with College of the Desert's goals of providing an education to students inside and outside of the Coachella Valley.
Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, assist instructors in the planning, organization, preparation and presentation of classroom and laboratory materials; schedule, maintain and issue supplies and equipment utilized for instructional purposes; assist academic staff by handling administrative laboratory functions.
Primary location for this position is Palm Desert Campus. Location subject to change based on need to Mecca/ Thermal Campus.
Bargaining Unit Position, Range 13
This position is 40 hours a week/12 months a year
The schedule is Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Schedule subject to change based on District need
• Assist instructors in the planning, organization, preparation and presentation of classroom and laboratory materials; set up supplies and equipment for instruction and remove when completed.
• Tutor students individually or small groups in a variety of instructional and tutorial situations; prepare or oversee students in preparation of laboratory setups.
• Oversee safety and security of equipment and materials; arrange for requisite pickup of hazardous waste materials following appropriate District procedures; maintain hazardous materials storage and handling as assigned; troubleshoot problems and make modifications as necessary, ensuring that all procedures are in compliance with the guidelines of various regulatory organizations including CalOSHA.
• Assist in program compliance.
• Calibrate equipment and make minor adjustments as necessary; arrange for maintenance, repair, and replacement of equipment; assist in upgrade of equipment and materials; install new hardware and software on equipment.
• Prepare requisitions and process purchases of instructional supplies and equipment; gather data and assist in the preparation of budgets; assist in creating and updating policies, procedures, and manuals.
• Attend periodic training and certification in chemical HAZMAT handling and storage procedures, and others as deemed as necessary.
• Oversee safety and security of instructional materials and equipment.
• Maintain laboratory environment in a safe, clean and orderly condition; mix, apply and spray chemical applications as required.
• Maintain storeroom and inventory records, equipment, supplies, and other materials; maintain and perform minor maintenance on equipment and vehicles as assigned.
• Receive, issue, store and care for laboratory, classroom, shop, tool room or other instructional material and maintain facilities in a clean and orderly condition.
• Administer and score tests as assigned; maintain student record and test files; develop reports as requested.
• Participate and attend related training and conferences.
• Train and assign duties to student workers.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to an Associate’s degree and preferably four years’ experience in field of specialty with at least one year experience in a laboratory setting or work environment directly associated with the assignment.
Principles, practices, procedures and equipment of assigned subject area; laboratory equipment and materials safety regulations involving area of specialty; hazardous materials storage and handling; record-keeping techniques; correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary; district organization, operations, policies and objectives; technical aspects of field of specialty; oral and written communication skills; interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
Perform specialized and technical duties to assure efficient lab operations; provide information and assistance to students and staff; assure the care and security of assigned equipment, materials and supplies; maintain learning equipment in proper working order; issue and receive equipment and supplies; plan and organize work; understand and follow oral and written directions; work independently with little direction; communicate effectively both orally and in writing to exchange information; establish and maintain effective working relationships with others; meet schedules and time lines; maintain records and prepare reports; operate laboratory equipment; research new methods, materials and equipment related to assigned subject area; reach overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally; bend at the waist; stand for extended periods of time.
Working Conditions: Environment: Laboratory environment. Driving a vehicle to conduct work. Subject to exposure to chemicals and other harmful substances.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Weekly Working Hours: 40
Work Schedule & Hours: Monday - 8:00 am - 5:00 pm, Tuesday - 8:00 am - 5:00 pm, Wednesday - 8:00 am - 5:00 pm, Thursday - 8:00 am - 5:00 pm, Friday - 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Posting Number: 18-533
Position End Date (if temporary):
Interview Date: 08/14/2018
Posting Open Date: 06/28/2018
Posting Close Date: 7/22/2018
Open Until Filled: No
Special Instructions to Applicants: